Glow with me
I have been obsessed with skincare since I was 12 years old when I bought my first blue jar of Noxzema. I slathered the cream on my face every night and splashed water on my face, just the like dewy freckled face girl in the television ads. I'm convinced it was why I never broke out and why my skin, despite all the coffee, wine and sun, still manages to look good today. Well, at least that's what people tell me -- from my best friends to my facialist.
My friends ask me what I use all the time and I send them detailed emails with my regimen and products. But I like to change it up a bit. When I run out of a product, I love trying new ones. What you see above is what I'm currently using and experimenting with.
Night Time - My night time ritual takes about 10-15 minutes.
1. I was visiting Paris with girlfriends and we learned that French girls don't use water to clean their face. Our smooth-even-toned skin Gallic pharmacist actually told us that all she uses is a Toner at night. And when we insisted on a cleanser, she looked at us and replied in the sweetest Parisienne way possible, "I guess you can use Eau Michellaire" (at least that's how we translated it.) Upon returning to the states, we found that everyone had caught on! You can find the Roche-Posay Micellar Water $20.99 at Target! So, I use this to wash my make up off. (Once a week, I'll use La Roche-Posay's Ultra Fine Scrub $17.99) Note: No water, only when cleaning off the scrub.
2. Toner - When I ran out of my La Roche-Posay Effaclar Toner (Micro-Exfoliating Astringent Lotion) $17.99, I found a toner while visiting Japan that many a beauty editor recommended. It's Minon Amino Mist Moist Charge Lotion. (This was tough to find in the drug store in Tokyo because the sales person couldn't understand me! It's available via Amazon.) So far, so good, but I'll probably go back to La Roche-Posay when I run out.
3. Oil - During the winter I feel like my skin is sapped of moisture, so I dab on Caudalie's L'Elixer from their Premier Cru Line. It's $99, but can last you 6 months. I started massaging my face with this oil every night. I love how it smells and relaxes me.
4. Vitamin C/Retinol - So a TV journalist friend (and my former mentee) is also a distributor for Rodan and Fields. I'm sure you've seen some of the postings from their distributors on your Facebook feed. I asked her a question about eyelashes and then came the hard sell about the skin care line. She's good and she also has great skin. And I'm a sucker for great skin. I was in need of a serum, so I decided to try out their Dual Active Brightening Complex -- basically a mix of Vitamin C and Retinol. ($100) I'm a week into it and I can definitely feel the difference in my skin. Check in with me next month!
Day Time - Splash water -- shhhhh, don't tell the French pharmacist.
1. I normally use Glytone's Vitamin C+E Serum ($128) I get monthly facials and my facialists uses this on me and it works great. It's a bit pricey, but I do get 20% when I buy it from my facialist. If you sign up a the Derm Store, there are always having specials too. But now I will dabbing on my Rodan and Fields serum in the morning.
2. Moisturizer. For many years I used Neutrogena's Moisturizer with Multi-Vitamins and Alpha-Hyrdoxy and SPF 15. It works great and cost only $10 at Target! But I recently got a gift certificate to Caudalie, so I decided to try their Resveratrol (Lift) Moisturizer $76 - Notice the big price difference. And I have to say I don't see or feel much of a difference. I'll probably go back.
And More ...
1. If I need a bit more hydration in the summer or winter months, I'll spray on the spring water. I use Avene's Eau Thermal. $18.50
2. Face Mask - Best. Face. Mask. Ever. - I use a face mask the night before I have to go on camera or before a big event. The Caudalie Glycolic Peel Mask $39 is amazing! You'll see a difference right away. It's like getting a facial.
Tip: Shop around the internet for the best prices! Also, these products can last you several months. I still have my scrub from my last trip to Paris!